Sunday, January 02, 2022

Experience - where is it? [take 1]

I have been thinking: where is my cumulative knowledge from ~26 years in my field stored? 

I am less capable of writing code into our current code base then any of the developers. I am also less capable with managing our infrastructure then anyone on the devops team. I have never been good at UI work. Done project management on a need to do basis: I know how to conduct meetings, have some proficiency in managing Scrum teams, incl. the backlog, daily-s, stand-ups and retro-s. But not strong in budgeting and planning. Basically, for any one capability I can probably point to someone that is better at it than me. But still I have always been busy reading up on the aspects that I have had to tackle at work: people, process, technology. So where has this knowledge gone?

I guess the answer is that I have gradually gained increased scope (w.r.t. the software life cycle), better sense for what works when (and pitfalls), and more options when solving a given problem. I hope.


  

No comments: