Monday, January 04, 2021

Making (new year's) resolutions - a framework/categories, take II

Approximately a year ago I posted on this same subject. Now a slightly different take, perhaps a simplification.

 The following categories are useful to setup the right goals (resolutions):

  • Basic skills ('the engine') - the foundation that the rest builds upon. I need to keep the physical and mental facilities well maintained. In my case I will be focusing on running and meditation.
  • Mastery. It is important for my self-worth to gain mastery. I actually think I have done so in many subjects but I have not capitalized on it yet and my primary focus will now be on identifying it.
  • Purpose. 'Higher purpose' if you like. Last year I focused on my 'micro' environment (friends & family). Now I am considering on expanding, adding a 'macro' component related to nature and fellow humans. Not going full-on altruistic, but in that general direction.

I would like to focus on a certain values to guide me through the day-to-day decision making. I will keep the ones I had last year.

P.s. Perhaps you can see a similar pattern here to the one in Drive by Pink: Autonomy, Mastery, Purpose.

No comments: